Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Essay #1 Why So Nervous?

In high school I had two colleges on my list and I was almost positive that I wanted to come to Ohio State. But the thing that sent me over the edge to pick OSU was the football tickets. I had been to a game a couple of years ago with my sister, but I don’t remember it very well. My brother and sisters all had tickets and defiantly encouraged me to get tickets. I am so thankful I did because I feel that going to the games truly made me a Buckeye.
I was so nervous for my first football game as a student. I really had no idea what to expect because it was just me and my sister alone. We weren’t going to know anyone around us and we were supposed to actually fit in with the student section. I had no idea how that was going to happen. Walking up the steps to the different levels it seemed like the stairs never stopped. It was like going up an escalator backwards, you never really get anywhere. As I huffed and puffed up the last couple of steps, I thought my heart was going to pop out because I was so nervous. I really wasn’t sure what was going to happen. As I walked through the doorway out into the stadium it really did take my breath away. It was a sea of scarlet and grey and everyone was jumping around screaming as the team warmed up. I just stood there and watched until reality set in and the people behind me were getting mad because I was holding up the line. I started to walk up, yet again, more steps and the nerves just left me with a feeling of such excitement. After I found my seat, I sat my stuff down and turned around too look at the football field. I could hear helmets crashing together as the team practiced and people yelling “O-H-I-O”, as they got the teamed pumped up. It was then that felt like I really belonged there.
During the game I had to just watch the crowd at one point as they screamed “OHIO” and “Go Bucks!” In high school, school spirit was never really a huge thing so coming here and having people really cheer hard for the team was wonderful. But the thing that really had tears in my eyes was the band. Again, in high school the band was something people really didn’t take pride in. By half time, OSU was beating the opponent by a hefty score, so a lot of people started to leave. But then I heard the people behind me say, “Wait, we can’t leave until the band performs. Then we can go.” I was so stunned. Students were actually saying that they wanted to see the band then they could leave and miss the rest of the football game. The tears started to well up in my eyes. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. My heart filled with pride knowing that my sister was a part of that and people respected it that much. I will never forget that feeling.
Even attending the whole season, nothing prepared me for the last game of the season: Michigan. It seemed like the week had no end and that I was never going to be able to get to go. It was like one of those things that you can’t believe is going to happen to you, and then all of a sudden you can’t do it. I was so hoping it wasn’t one of those times. When it finally became game day I thought that I was going to have a heart attack. My nerves were jumping all over the place. Climbing those steps that day felt like it did the first day. My heart was fluttering the whole time, I couldn’t stop it even if I wanted to. Going through the doorway I knew that this was going to be a big game for more then one reason, even though I didn’t know those reasons at the time. As I walked through the door, I had to squint because of all the light illuminating the field. As I heard the crowds roar, because the team was exiting the field the last time before kick-off, all I could do was smile. I had goose bumps on my arms and it felt like a butterfly in my heart. I was finally at the game of the year.
The game was so intense and everyone was into it 110%. People were yelling so loud and I too yelling as loud as possible. By the end of the night, my voice was so raspy. It felt like I had swallowed a bug and I couldn’t get it out. The crowd was chanting O-H-I-O the whole time and it kept getting louder and louder as if you were turning up the radio every round. The band tried playing songs but the crowd was so loud you couldn’t hear them at all. As the time ran down on the clock, again, the crowd kept getting louder and more excited. People were everywhere and by when the clock hit zero, people poured onto the field like a bomb that had blown up. The pride that everyone had felt by beating Michigan was like you were watching a part of you do something great. It was so indescribable. Everyone had a smile on their face and the bond that formed because everyone had the same passion for the team as you did. This was one of the best games ever played and to be a part of that is great. As I was standing there watching people flood the field my sister turned to me and said, “Holy crap do you know what this means?” I was like “No”; I was to excided to think about anything else. She said, “We are going to the national championship game!” I had totally forgotten about that, and then I knew that I would be feeling those nerves again. But I was willing to accept that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amanda! I think you really brought out the imagery in this story, especially the escalator part. You've done so much with this draft since I first saw it, and I love what you've done.

Anonymous said...

Great work.